homebirth the next time around...?

This forum is to give and receive support for pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding.

homebirth the next time around...?

Postby rikabia » 06 Mar 2013, 08:18

I'm wondering how many people here have managed a home birth in Sweden? I'm considering going this route next time around but not really sure how to go about it and what the repercussions are in a society that values collective needs over individual needs...? I know I'll have to sign a whole lot of forms saying I understand that I'm being terribly 'risky' which in itself is unnerving.

I'm also not sure if I would qualify for a home birth and/or whether it would be covered under their terribly narrow rules. I delivered my first baby vaginally but not without many interventions...

Any midwives you can absolutely recommend to attend a home birth? I'm looking for someone who is comfortable being VERY hands off. No checks. No prodding. Just knowledgeable and supportive with calm presence.

I'm not pregnant but looking to add to our family soon and wanting to figure this out before I find myself pregnant and at the mercy of the system. :cry:

Thanks for any tips you may have.
rikabia
Settled In MISer

Re: homebirth the next time around...?

Postby 13loki » 06 Mar 2013, 09:21

Sorry, no answers to your questions, but very interested in any answers you get. Our second was a homebirth, but in England. Unplanned, and the paramedic came as I delivered her head, ambulance came as the paramedic and Matthew were trying to hand Lola to me. I think we cut the cord about 20 minutes later and then the midwife turned up! So, if we have another baby, I'd quite like to have the option of having it at home rather than in the car on the way to hospital, which is a 20 minute drive away and I had Lola 25 minutes after waking up.

13loki
MISering My Way Around

Postby Elembe » 06 Mar 2013, 16:37

Oh my, 13loki -- what a homebirth story that is!!!

I'm in my third trimester and planning for a homebirth in Uppsala. There are no homebirth midwives here, so I've had to find someone who was willing to travel. This has not been an easy task! It took me several weeks of dedicated effort to find someone who was willing/able to travel to Uppsala!

Rikabia, to comment on some of your questions/concerns:

- "Repercussions are in a society that values collective needs over individual needs": So far, the only repercussions I've experienced are the difficulty in finding a homebirth midwife (this will be much easier for you if you are in Stockholm); some wary looks from other mammas (doesn't faze me -- I know my reasons for wanting homebirth!); and having to pay out of pocket. In Stockholm, I've heard the city or commune will pay for your homebirth midwife, so long as it's not your first birth and you meet some other requirements; I'm not sure what those are.

- Signing forms: I haven't had to sign anything. My "system" midwife in Uppsala, who happens to be very supportive of our choice for homebirth, has simply forewarned me that I may get a call from a doctor at the hospital before my due date to inform me of the risks of homebirth and probably try to talk me out of it.

- Qualifying for a home birth: It's your choice. You might not qualify for it to be FREE, but you can still do a home birth. If there are complications in the pregnancy, you'll discuss those with the midwife and decide whether to stay home or go to the hospital.

- Interventions: As I'm sure you know, there are FAR fewer interventions in a home birth compared to a hospital birth...thus, far fewer complications. In my research and experience so far, I've found that homebirth midwives are more focused on birth as a natural process, while hospital policy approaches the birth experience as a series of risks. My suggestion is you try to meet with two or three homebirth midwives, ask direct questions and discuss what's important to you, to get a feel for their approach. The midwife will probably also have questions for you as she also feels out whether you're all a good match for each other. Some midwives charge a fee for this first meeting; some do not. Be sure to ask in advance, as it's not always mentioned in initial communications.

- Recommendations: Hmmmm...I don't have an absolute recommendation at this point. You could check with me again after our mid-May due date! I'm happy to share my honest experience so far, though. Our original homebirth midwife choice was a woman by the name of Agneta Bergenheim. She just canceled on us very recently, which was a real disappointment, especially since I had to be the one to reach out to her before she told me she had decided to pursue some other plans and wouldn't be available for our birth. She was lovely to meet, and she herself said her approach is very hands-off (unless Mamma requests otherwise). I really liked her philosophy and was really looking forward to her attending our birth. At this point, however, she is not someone I can recommend, from a reliability standpoint. Plus, she is relocating, and I don't think she'll be traveling to Stockholm for homebirths. I'm not quite sure on this, however, as I'm not sure how far away she is moving.

I'm currently in touch with another midwife, Ann Petren ( http://egenbarnmorska.se/), in Stockholm. My sambo and I will meet her and her partner(s) soon. She and her partners seem to be the most established midwives on the homebirth scene in this part of the country (maybe the whole country), and I feel super grateful that she has been such a help in our rather last-minute search for a homebirth midwife!

I've also heard good things about the midwife Diane Sjögren (http://www.diane-jordemor.se/index.php?page=1).

If you haven't already seen http://fodahemma.org/, that'll be a good resource for you, too.

I'll be interested to hear your journey along this path!
Elembe
MISering My Way Around

Postby mrsmacolsson » 06 Mar 2013, 17:19

Have you seen the Norwegian series Barnmorskorna? I loved it! It is about the different midwife units in the remoter areas of Norway. Some fantastic stories there, with several homebirths in the documentary. I think you can probably find it somewhere on SVTs website still.

Anne-Louise
mrsmacolsson
Fully Fledged MISer

Postby sunshine_girl » 06 Mar 2013, 18:05

Diane was my mw twice. And I think she's great. She has been used by some other mammas on here but I'm not sure how active they are here. Diane is very straightforward and doesn't mess about.

The first time I met her she told me that we would do things as I wanted-I could see her once a week for the whole pregnancy or once a month. :D
ImageImageImage
sunshine_girl
Chatterbox

Postby Human_Being » 07 Mar 2013, 06:33

I had two births at home in Sweden, and they were both VBACS so it was hard to arrange care, but even in a very under served area with a risk factor that made some turn me away, I was able to arrange for the birth setting I wanted. You can absolutely do the same. Stockholm has the best options in the country, you are in the one area where you may not have to pay out of pocket. Connect to people via fodda hemma website and doula.nu, call and talk to as many birthy people as you can and get a feel for the birth community and who is out there doing what. I know Carrie was very lucky to have Dianne, I listened to things as they progressed for her in pregnancy and it seemed like a very good situation, she was listened to and had options. If you had a vaginal birth, you are likely a good candidate for a home birth by all their standards. As a midwife, I always say you only have your first baby once....first labors are notoriously longer and harder, in studies of planned home birth general transfer rates are usually about 10%, but in first time moms it is more like 25%...this is just a reflection of that fact first time births tend to be longer and harder. Now you have given birth, you are more likely to have a simple straight forward second birth. Contact midwives and interview them now, so you will know what they think of your particular history. I am sure they can answer most of your questions. And I just want to encourage you that if you think home birth sounds good, DO IT! It is so so so much better to be in your own tub, amongst your own things, on your own toilet, in your own shower, with your own kitchen at hand, and to cuddle in your own bed with your own family once baby is born! No amount of kindness or accommodation from the staff can ever make the hospital your home. When I am in pain and going through something personal and intense, the last place on earth I want to be is in an institutional setting. When I stare off into space with a contraction, I want my eyes to land on the comfortable sights of my home, not some fluorescent lights and medical equipment. And i want my partner to feel like he is the host, not the guest when our baby is born. There is truly no place like home!! I had to pay out of pocket, but I can think of few things in this world as important as birthing my children, I am happy to pay whatever I must to have that happen the way we feel is safest, happiest, and most comfortable for us.
Human_Being
Settled In MISer

Postby rikabia » 07 Mar 2013, 12:46

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I will be mulling over your words and visiting the links you posted for me - hopefully my next pregnancy (once it happens) and birth will be a happy time full of anticipation and healing.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this group?? :mrgreen:
rikabia
Settled In MISer

Postby green serafina » 07 Mar 2013, 20:21

I also had Diane with dd2 and would have loved to have had her as my midwife for dd3 and this pregnancy if it was not so impractical (I no longer live in Sweden). I LOVED Diane, she was to the point but gentle too and I felt very confident of her ablities. If yu are in Stockholm I'd definitely suggest meeting her for advice and seeing if the chemistry fits for you. Good luck with your home birth, sounds wonderful :)
Fiona
green serafina
Part Of The Furniture

Postby rikabia » 08 Mar 2013, 08:06

green serafina wrote:I also had Diane with dd2 and would have loved to have had her as my midwife for dd3 and this pregnancy if it was not so impractical (I no longer live in Sweden). I LOVED Diane, she was to the point but gentle too and I felt very confident of her ablities. If yu are in Stockholm I'd definitely suggest meeting her for advice and seeing if the chemistry fits for you. Good luck with your home birth, sounds wonderful :)

Fiona, did you have Diane as a home birth midwife or as a maternity care midwife?

I'll get in touch with her either way to see how we get along - I also wonder who she works with and if they have good chemistry...?
rikabia
Settled In MISer

Postby green serafina » 08 Mar 2013, 08:44

No homebirth for me unfortunately. I considered it and spoke about it with Diane but by babies tend to come early and there were complications with our DD1 so my husband was totally freaked out about the idea of a home birth. I decided that the last thing I'd need whilst giving birth (or the weeks leading up to the birth) was an incredibly stressed out husband :D

I saw her over 6 years ago so I can't help much with teh details of who she co-operates with (my memory is terrible!) but you can contact her via Vidarkliniken. Maybe SSG can give you more up to date info?
Fiona
green serafina
Part Of The Furniture

Postby pinnsvein » 08 Mar 2013, 08:50

No experience with a homebirth midwife, but I did have a somewhat-home birth. I think that Human_Being's advice was quite good, and the sites she recommends are the ones I found most informational when I was researching a planned home birth. I also agree that, when possible, a birth in your own home, where you are most comfortable, eases things incredibly. My labor at home (and subsequent UC in the car) were amazing and relaxed compared to my first scared, vulnerable birth in the hospital. I would definitely go that route were I to have another. I had to abandon the idea due to geographic contraints last time, but perhaps could have made it work had I tried harder.
pinnsvein
Settled In MISer

Postby sunshine_girl » 08 Mar 2013, 08:55

Vidarkliniken is no longer at Rosenlund and looking at her website she seems to be working somewhat independently these days. A new group has taken over the space at Rosenlund and she's not listed in the midwives-neither is a couple of other names that I remember from when I saw Diane.

I wanted a homebirth the second time around but DH was too freaked out by the whole thing and worried. Turns out things probably would have gone much better if I had just stayed home instead of heading to the hospital. And being sent home two nights in a row. I know my friend that was with us would have been up for delivering Cohen at home (she had, at that time, two unassisted births at home :mrgreen: ) but I know there's no way Henrik would have been able to deal with that idea. :lol: I wanted a home birth the third time around but I had too many strikes against me and of the FIVE midwives Diane consulted only one said that she would meet with me to see if it was possible. But then Ciarán was on the large side and breech so it was a no go.
ImageImageImage
sunshine_girl
Chatterbox

Postby catlins » 07 Apr 2013, 20:08

Hi! Just popped by after a long time and saw this thread. I had my three children at home and Diane was my midwife with all of them. I can warmly recommend her! She is very experienced and I felt totally safe with her.
She still works at Rosenlund, but the MVC/BVC unit there is now run by Allvis. You will find information and contact details on http://www.allvis.nu/
If its your second birth, you will get paid for it (Stockholms län), if the pregnancy is normal and a normal birth is to be expected. You will have to meet a doctor though to "godkänna" you, who is supposed to clarify the risks of not giving birth in the hospital etc. But thats more a formal thing, although a bit annoying I thought.
Get in touch with Diane! And if you have more questions feel free to email me. I might disappear again from here for a while ;)
All the best with your planning!
catlins
MISering My Way Around

Postby Elembe » 22 Apr 2013, 16:24

Hi mums,

A quick update from my end on this subject: I didn't end up with a homebirth after all! Our little daughter came quite early, 3 weeks ago -- born at 33.5 weeks of pregnancy. She is a champ and doing really well! We lived 11 days in the NICU with her and are now at home.

My labor was quick (less than 6 hours, from the time my water broke to the baby's emergence!). Helene Nash, who was going to be my homebirth midwife, along with Ann Petren, made it in time to serve as a doula for us during the birth. She stayed for a few hours after, while I was in recovery and while we figured ourselves out in the NICU. Her support was invaluable, and I highly recommend her.
Elembe
MISering My Way Around

Postby lovingmum » 24 Jun 2013, 15:13

Hi everyone!
I just wanted to say thanks. I've found useful information in this and a couple of other posts.
I was registered in MIS about 4 years ago when my son was a baby and I was on parental leave.
I'm now pregnant with my second and starting to plan a home birth.

rikabia:
Are you still planning a home birth?
I'm meeting Cayenne (http://www.egenbarnmorska.se / http://www.allvis.nu) next week (I've talked with her over the phone and I really liked her). But now that the possibility looks more real I've started to think and think and doubt :? :roll: ... I share most of your questions.

I may write a new post about home birth.

Thanks again! :D
lovingmum
Brand New MISer

Postby rikabia » 24 Jun 2013, 17:56

Hi, I've actually put this on the back burner for now since I'm not pregnant and actively looking for work. I can imagine I would also go through periods of doubt questioning once the possibility becomes more real for me as well- I think that's normal - and honestly I'm not sure what I'd ultimately decide. I like to think I'd go for a home birth but who knows!

Perhaps your thought to start a new thread is best. Keep in mind many people are off on holiday at the moment so if your thread doesn't yield much right away don't despair!

Good luck with it - it's not an easy decision :)
rikabia
Settled In MISer

Postby lovingmum » 24 Jun 2013, 20:20

Hi rikabia!
Thanks for your reply :D
For me it doesn't feel right to go to a hospital to give birth -being healthy and with a normal pregnancy. On the other hand, giving birth at a hospital is so the norm here that it makes me feel sort of worried and doubtful; plus my experience at hospital really was good.
But the most difficult aspect for me at the moment is not knowing other women that had given birth at home. Well I know this women, who is a friend of a friend, but that's it.
lovingmum
Brand New MISer

Postby HesterF » 24 Jun 2013, 22:51

I've got several friends who've given birth at home - both in Switzerland and the UK (in fact two friends here had the same midwife and gave birth within 12 hours of each other, both in their own homes, she was a busy bee that night!). I've heard nothing but praise for it - the fact that you can just settle down to enjoy your new babe in your own home, your own bed, sounds lovely.

It's not for me - I think because I hadn't considered it for the first (in Sweden) and by the second and third I just knew it was going to be fast and furious and I'd rather the mess was somewhere else, I wasn't likely to have small children barging in wanting to know where their toys were and I'd be home soon afterwards anyway. But those who've done it, don't go back to hospital births (or the ones I know didn't).

Good luck with the decision,

H
HesterF
Chatterbox

Postby Princess P » 01 Jul 2013, 17:02

Not sure if mine counts as a home birth or not. My little one was born out in the street in front of all my neighbours 10 weeks ago. :shock:
Princess P
Settled In MISer

Postby Skate » 01 Jul 2013, 19:28

Blimey Princess, I do hope all is well...
Congratulations on the bundle, had been hoping you'd post the news, but - wow.
Are you able to share the story? Quite understandable if not.
I have a friend who gave birth in the back of her car on the way to hospital. She said the longest, scariest bit of all was not hearing the baby's cry because no-one was there to give that whack. Thankfully all was well for them. Really hope it is for you too!
Kate
Skate
Fully Fledged MISer

Postby pinnsvein » 01 Jul 2013, 21:23

Mine was in the front seat of the car. I am glad at least that I didn't have an audience as I waddled pantsless onto the guerney outside BB since it was almost 2 AM. Had it been in daylight, I don't know how I would have handled that!
pinnsvein
Settled In MISer

Postby Princess P » 03 Jul 2013, 16:21

Basically, I was home alone when I went into labour. It was going fast so I called an ambulance as I didn't think my husband would make it home in time let alone then get me to the hospital. The gurney was stuck half in/out of the ambulance so I clung to the back while one of the paramedics and some of my neighbours beat it into submission with hammers. Baby wasn't impressed and didn't want to wait so out he popped, caught in spectacular fashion by the other paramedic to cries of disbelief from his audience. :D

Jacob David St George Foreman arrived after just 2 hours of labour and only 3 'pushes' :shock: and is perfect.
Princess P
Settled In MISer

Postby Princess P » 03 Jul 2013, 16:31

Jacob.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Princess P
Settled In MISer

Postby albie » 03 Jul 2013, 21:46

Princess P wrote:Jacob David St George Foreman arrived after just 2 hours of labour and only 3 'pushes' :shock: and is perfect.

He is ADORABLE!
And what a story -- wow!! I'm pretty sure you can say this "wasn't the delivery experience you were hoping for" but sounds like it went perfectly and will give you lots of laughs in life :lol:
//albie (MIS Admin)
ImageImage
ImageImage
albie
Global Moderator

Postby MeganSkåne » 04 Jul 2013, 08:16

He's a cutie, what a smile!
MeganSkåne
MISering My Way Around

Postby lovingmum » 08 Jul 2013, 14:42

WOW Princess P.
That was an express delivery :D .
lovingmum
Brand New MISer

Postby lovingmum » 04 Mar 2014, 10:59

Hi there!
I'm so sorry I haven't been around much at MIS, it's been difficult to find the time :( But I wanted to thank you all again! This post helped me at lot when I was starting looking for info about home birth and... My baby (DS2) was born at home two weeks ago :D . Everything went well. The whole experience was wonderful.

rikabia, I see you are pregnant!! Congrats!!! Are you still thinking about home birth? If you need anything... maybe I can help? just ask me. I'd be glad to help you.

love & cheers xxxx

loli.
lovingmum
Brand New MISer

Postby rikabia » 04 Mar 2014, 16:11

Thank you! Yes I am looking into home birth this time. I'll PM you with questions as they arise :) thanks for the support.

And congrats on your little bundle and home birth :)
rikabia
Settled In MISer

Return to Bumps, Births & Breastfeeding