Birthday gift ideas (adult)

The forum to use if you just want a natter, or if you've got something to post that doesn't fit under any of the other headings.

Birthday gift ideas (adult)

Postby albie » 06 Mar 2013, 14:34

We're going to a friend's husband's 40th birthday party in a few weeks, and I'd like to take a gift.
I don't really know him well.
There's the obvious bottle of whiskey option, or a bottle of cologne (although he doesn't strike me as a cologne kind of guy...he's an engineer, and likes to be outdoors in his free time, and is rather handy).
I buy my husband socks, undies, sweaters, dress shirts, and cuff links at gift time...none of which is really suitable for someone else.

What do you buy men for presents?
//albie (MIS Admin)
ImageImage
ImageImage
albie
Global Moderator

Re: Birthday gift ideas (adult)

Postby trolleydolly » 06 Mar 2013, 14:54

We often do the "nice bottle of _____", depending on the type of alcohol they drink. In the case of my brothers-in-law, they enjoy whiskey, so that's often what we will buy. Although for their birthdays this year, we didn't have time to put a lot of thought into gifts, so they each received a presentkort to Hasselgrens in Lund- both are in the market for new wine glasses.

I suppose not terribly helpful.... :oops:

//Alexis
//Alexis

trolleydolly
Settled In MISer

Postby crissy » 06 Mar 2013, 16:33

When we went to a 40th to an old friend of my husband (that he hasn't really seen for years), we gave an axe :lol: . He's also into the outdoors and really liked the present. I know that my husband would like a small extra axe for when we're outdoors.

Axe from Jula
ImageImageImage
crissy
Settled In MISer

Postby KiwiFi » 06 Mar 2013, 16:42

How about a nice knife? Swedish men seem to be really into their knives.
KiwiFi
Settled In MISer

Postby albie » 06 Mar 2013, 17:25

I can completely see the appeal of an axe or knife...but have to confess, I shuddered at the thought! Maybe it is just my upbringing...Jews don't really give knives as gifts, it is considered bad luck, and actually, if you are going to give someone a knife (of any sort), I think the tradition goes that you actually give them money, and then they BUY the knife from you. (Morgan? Sarah? anyone else know this better than me?).

Not sure if it matters -- both my friend and her husband, the birthday-"boy", are English.
//albie (MIS Admin)
ImageImage
ImageImage
albie
Global Moderator

Postby KiwiFi » 06 Mar 2013, 17:33

How about a really good book about tying knots. My Sambo recently bought 'The Directory of Knots' by John Shaw on Amazon UK which is a great guide. He's an Engineering type, too.

It gives a little information about the history of each knot, too, which is added value.
KiwiFi
Settled In MISer

Postby Bainne » 06 Mar 2013, 18:29

Seeing as he is English, what about a magazine subscription to his favourite British publication? I did that for my husband. It saved having my sister sending them over.
Bainne
MISering My Way Around

Postby Skate » 06 Mar 2013, 19:39

I was going to suggest a magazine/newspaper subscription too!

The other thing though is that I always hand over 'boy' presents to the 'boy' in my life. This does quite often mean nothing happens, or nothing happens without a lot of reminders, so I can see you need a back-up plan. Amazon might be your friend there. My hubby loves books on boring things that I'd never go near (How to build your own sports car and race it for under 200 pounds, Survive! The story of mountain climbing in New Zealand's wilderness, Build your own bicycle - oh there are so many bicycle books in our house!)

I believe Ordinance Survey will do maps centred on a specific place. So you could find out his home town or place of birth or whatever and try one of them. Don't think they're too expensive.
Skate
Fully Fledged MISer

Postby KiwiFi » 06 Mar 2013, 21:21

Skate wrote:I believe Ordinance Survey will do maps centred on a specific place. So you could find out his home town or place of birth or whatever and try one of them. Don't think they're too expensive.

Ordnance, Kate :D Good idea, though. http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.c ... custommade

Regarding magazines / newspapers, so many are available online these days that it would have to involve some conversations with your friend, Albie.
KiwiFi
Settled In MISer

Postby bundleofjoy » 06 Mar 2013, 21:31

What about one of these gift vouchers ?

http://www.liveit.se/
http://www.uppner.se/

There are lots of fun options, in different price ranges.

I gave my husband a Ferrari test drive voucher a couple of years back on his birthday and he was truly very happy. I am not sure if you have it in Malmo though.

ETA : I checked, they have options in Malmo too. ( I assume your friend is from southern sweden too).
Anjana :)

ImageImage
bundleofjoy
Settled In MISer

Postby Jenny1978 » 06 Mar 2013, 21:46

Hello

I hail from Northern Ireland and while I like the idea of a knife (thinking Swiss army knife) we would have the tradition too that the person who receives the gift should give you a penny to pay for it. It is to avoid cutting the bonds of friendship as far as I know.

Just asking my husband and he thinks a hiking axe would be wonderful (but seemingly they are expensive and give you the shudders anyway). He also says a power tool keep you happy all day long. With my hubby's birthday coming up this is a handy conversation for me to be having.

Is he an outdoorsy camping type of guy? In that case apparently an endless list of options (according to me somewhat excited husband who is now listing presents). Lots of gadgets to be found in outdoor shops (small towels, cooking utensils, freeze dried food, torches ...).

Hope you find something fun.
Jenny

P.S. I will be getting freeze dried food for my DHs birthday just to see the look on his face.
Jenny

In Skåne with my Swedish husband and 4 year old twin sons
Jenny1978
MISering My Way Around

Postby HesterF » 06 Mar 2013, 22:57

Personally it sounds like I'd be going with the easy option of a bottle of something. I'd probably go with wine if I didn't know what his preferred tipple was - whisky is very much a love it or hate it thing. I'd never buy anybody but my husband a bottle of cologne (and even then I've only done it once and it's still upstairs) - I think that would be a very odd present, not sure why, clearly some cultural association there like you have for knives.

If you knew him better you could pick something outdoorsy or clothing (we often go with jumpers or similar for male relatives) but it's a bit of a gamble for somebody you don't know very well. Another alternative is food stuff - when DH turned 40, I ordered a hamper of ye olde english sweets which went down well - all from his childhood. That might work. Or other English foods if you know what he likes - wheel of stilton?

H
HesterF
Chatterbox

Postby Lulu » 07 Mar 2013, 08:23

Möllans Ost do a variety of wine/cheese tasting evenings - you could always buy him one of those - depending on price i guess.
I bought my brother in law a go-carting voucher for his 45th. Really by that age they have (or have means to buy) whatever they want, so i gave something that was a bit fun instead. He has a 10 year old son and they went off together and had a great time...... but i guess you need to know the person quite well to be able to do that.
If all else fails, a nice wine!
Lulu
Settled In MISer

Postby ms_earthgirl » 07 Mar 2013, 11:27

I second bundleofjoy. We've been to a few adult birthday parties and everyone seem to like these kind of presents e.g ferrari driving experience, parachute jumps etc.

Check out - http://se.smartbox.com/presenter-till-honom
Anne
Mum to DS (2001) DD (2003)
ms_earthgirl
Fully Fledged MISer

Return to Chew the fat